For areas that do not add fluoride to their water supply, or if you believe that fluoride provides benefits, Freedom is a 4-filter, 7-stage system designed to be a low maintenance drinking water system with low operating costs.
OPUS Freedom has all the features of the Advantage, but lacks the fluoride filtration component. Freedom features a 5 micron pleated dirt/rust/sediment filter, three types of carbon filtration (activated carbon block, granulated activated carbon, and catalytic coconut shell carbon block), 0.5 micron carbon block MTBE and VOC filtration, and KDF media to remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, nitrates, nitrites, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, mercury, manganese, nickel, lead, trichloroethane, lindane and chloroform. The system is contained in a reasonably sized unit consisting of three vertical 10″ filter housings. The Freedom system leaves health promoting minerals in solution for a great tasting healthful mineral water. The Freedom system maintains the pH of the water entering the system.
A bioceramic water amplification filter can also be added to add ionic magnesium, calcium and potassium, lower the ORP (oxidation reduction potential), increase the concentration of hydrogen and oxygen ions, increase alkalinity, reduce the cluster size, and transform the purified drinking water into antioxidant, alkaline water. (That model is called the AlkaPlus Freedom Water Purification System.)
Well engineered filtration systems are designed to either adsorb or absorb contaminants, and not allow the media in the filter, or contaminants retained by the filter to reach subsequent filters, or the final destination, your drinking glass. By using progressively finer (smaller micron) filter components and by ensuring any material that escapes from one filter will be adsorbed, absorbed or eliminated by the next filter in the design, the purest, cleanest, best tasting water is produced.
As with all OPUS Healthy Water Systems, the Freedom comes complete with everything required for installation, including two 5-foot lengths of LLDPE tubing, filter wrench, saddle valve for homes or offices that use copper plumbing, a John Guest ball valve for easy filter changes, and a lead-free long reach faucet. OPUS encourages the purchase of the annual filter kit at the time of purchase, providing two years of maintenance free service. All OPUS Healthy Water Systems include a limited ten year warranty to the original owner if filters are changed annually.
Stage 1: 5 Micron Dirt/Rust/Sediment Filter – Pleated Design
This filter is designed to remove dirt, rust, sediment, and other contaminants and to prevent these contaminants from affecting the efficiency of the KDF media and the subsequent carbon filters. With normal use, replace every 6-12 months. If the water flow at the faucet drops significantly, its time to replace this filter.
Stage 2 & 3: 3 Pounds KDF Media, 1 Pound Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC)
KDF media is a zinc/copper media that removes chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, nitrates, nitrites, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, mercury, manganese, nickel, lead, trichloroethane, lindane, and chloroform. When combined with granulated activated carbon, a synergistic effect is produced that is greater than either material alone.
The quantity of KDF media (3 pounds) used in the Freedom system is the highest amount available in a 10” water filter design and will provide superior performance for up to two years, however OPUS recommends changing all filters annually for optimum performance.
Stage 4 & 5 — 1 Micron Activated Catalytic Coconut Shell Carbon Block
This filter is installed in the middle (center) vertical stage. It adsorbs both chloramines and chlorine, while blocking all particulate matter down to 1 micron. This filter must be changed annually, even if less than five gallons of water are filtered daily. This filter has multiple functions, including:
• Adsorbing chlorine and chloramines (most municipalities now add either one or the other to treat their water supplies).
• Trapping particles as small as 1 micron, including particles from the KDF/GAC filter in the left vertical stage (which is why it is critical to flush the KDF/GAC filter prior to installing this, and the .5 micron filter which comprises Stage 6 & 7).
• Improving taste and odor.
Stage 6 & 7 — .5 Micron MTBE/VOC/Lead/Mercury Microfilter
This is the right vertical stage of the unit; it must be changed annually even if less than five gallons of water are purified daily. This filter has multiple functions, including:
• Trapping particles down to .5 microns, including particles from the KDF/GAC filter in Stage 2 & 3 (left filter housing), and particles from the 1 micron Stage 4 & 5 filter (which is installed in the middle filter housing.) [Stage 6]
• Removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs — contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove. [Stage 7]
This last filter also puts a final polish to the water and ensures it is not only contaminant free, but also crystal clear and great tasting. This final filter is superior to the majority of standalone filter systems on the market. Replace this filter every year.
- Triple filter housing designed to be installed under a sink.
- 10″ 5 micron pleated sediment filter.
- 10″ 3 LB KDF Media/1 lb Granulated Activated Carbon Filter.
- 10″ Coconut Shell activated catalytic carbon block filter to remove chlorine and chloramines, and particulates down to 1 micron.
- 10″ 0.5 Micron Carbon Block (removes MTBE, VOCs, lead, mercury, chlorine, etc.
- Saddle valve for connection to existing cold water copper pipe, with John Guest quick connects on the unit and faucet for easy connection to the supplied LDPE tubing.
- Chrome faucet (w/ hardware and John Guest quick connect) for standard sink installations.
- Two 5-foot pieces LLDPE tubing, to connect from John Guest fitting to the water input, and to connect the output stage to the included long reach chrome faucet.
- John guest ball valve to make it easy to shut off water to the system for filter changes.
- Filter wrench, to allow easy filter changes.
More Information > The OPUS Freedom Water Filtration System is available at Aviva.
Questions about water filtration? Call us toll-free at (866) 947-6789